Sales Lessons that 10 Year-Olds Already Know

While waiting to pick my own kids up from school last week, I found myself in a corridor reading a large laminated set of rules hanging on the wall, and I had to share it.

Learning About Sales

There is a book you may have heard of entitled “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten” by Robert Fulghum.

It is a collection of short anecdotes, best known for the short piece relating to the title, where he talks about the rules learnt in his early years that turned out to be equally relevant to him as an adult.

From Sales Director to Sales Coach, I have looked after individuals with a variety of skill sets over the last three decades, and I can honestly say that the things which set the 10% (who you would employ again and again) against the other 90% (who populate the rest of the industry) can all be found in the next sixteen little nuggets of advice aimed originally at five to ten year olds.

I don’t expect anyone to correct themselves here – but I wonder if you recognise someone you work with who should have this list forwarded to them?

In my general behaviour I will try to:
  • Be polite, well mannered and respectful
  • Act sensibly and safely
  • Use appropriate language
  • Be honest, even if I have done something wrong
  • Be trustworthy
  • Look after my belongings and avoid losing things
  • Keep my desk tidy
  • Take a pride in my appearance
When working I will try to:
  • Arrive on time
  • Bring the correct books and equipment
  • Listen attentively
  • Get on with my work quickly, using my time effectively
  • Take an interest
  • Listen to what other people have to say and respect them
  • Take pride in the appearance of my work
  • Do my work to the best of my ability

Let me know if there are any rules that you’d add to the list – please feel free to leave a message below of the things that certain sales people really should know – but don’t act as if they do.

The next One-Day Selling with EASE Workshop is taking place in the UK in just a few weeks – you can check content, location and availability at this link

EASE-Cover-3D_new

****************************************************

My new book – Selling with EASE: The Four Step Sales Cycle Found in Every Successful Business Transaction is now available from Kindle and as a Paperback. If you’d like a preview, you can download the first 30 pages as a PDF document – completely free – by clicking right here

****************************************************

If you would like to discuss how we can help to develop your team, email us now on info@vardakreuztraining.com, give us a call on 0844 293 9777 – or follow this link to find out a little more about our courses and workshops.

If you were looking to book a training workshop for an individual rather than an in-house training course for an entire team you’ll find everything you need over at our Open Workshops Page by following this link.

Posted in Sales Skills, Sales Training Tagged with: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*