Salespeople – Are You Really Worth Your Wages?
There are 5 questions below, which if you answer honestly, will give some indication on what effect you genuinely have on your own sales figures.
To my mind there are far too many people out there, earning the well-deserved wages of someone who has had a positive impact on the continuous prosperity and profitability of their company – but whose wages are actually only affordable because of the continued prosperity and profitability of their company.
Subtle difference in words – huge impact on business
Funnily enough, I know a few dentists who would score higher than some professional salespeople on these next 5 questions – and yet, they would never consider themselves to have the skills or confidence required to deliver the results that a professional salesperson would be expected to achieve in the same situation.
Odd then, that so many salespeople – who don’t really have any effect on customer choice or end of year sales figures – believe that they are ultimately responsible (and take most of the credit) for the success of entire companies.
Take a look at the questions below and rate yourself – honestly – by scoring:
2 for YES, ALWAYS:
1 for MAYBE, SOMETIMES: and
0 for NO, NEVER
1. If no one did your job, would prospects and customers decide to stop buying from your company?
2. Would YOU happily buy your children’s medical insurance or organise your mother’s nursing home requirements with a salesperson who treats their customers in exactly the same way that you treat your prospects and customers from beginning to end?
3. Can you explain to prospects why you are a better alternative than lower priced competitors?
4. Can you take full credit for finding and converting the orders and business opportunities that go towards your target?
5. Before presenting and selling your product or service as the cure do you seek to fully understand the customer’s symptoms (pain, underlying problems, needs)?
10 Points – Yep, you’re in sales and you’ve got a pretty good idea of what that actually means to you and your potential customers – nice to meet you.
7 – 9 Points – Clearly, your job involves some real sales work, and by the look of it – you’re really quite good at what you do. But be honest with yourself – which question didn’t you like the look of (and why)?
4 – 6 Points –Two possibilities here; You’re either doing the best you can and would like someone to help you get a little better or your “company brand” sells itself and you’re just simply facilitating its movement. So just imagine how unstoppable you could be if you found a way to upgrade your sales skills toolbox.
1- 3 Points – Three possibilities this time;
- You’re either doing the very best you can and would really, really like someone to help you improve or
- you thought sales was an easier option than getting a real job and don’t care or
- you had trouble understanding most of the questions
0 Points – Did you just decide to read this article to find out if your sales team were ripping you off?
Interested in finding out more?
If you would like to discuss how we can help to develop your team, email us now on email@example.com, give us a call on 0844 293 9777 – or follow this link to find out a little more about our courses and workshops.
If you were looking to book a training workshop for an individual rather than an in-house training course for an entire team you’ll find everything you need over at our Open Workshops Page by following this link.