The Real Secret to Sales Success
There’s a secret to sales success – which, if you’re already doing it on a regular basis, won’t be that much of a big surprise.
But that’s probably only about 5% of all the salespeople out there – so I think it’s worth sharing.
It took me quite a long time to recognise this little nugget of truth for what it really is, and then distil it into a couple of memorable, tweet length sentences – but here they are.
The reason my career soared, while others splashed around in a muddy pool of bitterness and mediocrity – was due to this simple fact;
I went out and got business – but most people want to be given business, so they can go out and get it.
Go on, read it again – it’s deeper than you think.
‘Cos that’s how my career stepped up – one rung at a time – and kept on rising.
When there didn’t appear to be any business – I found a way to create the opportunity.
When there was a shortage of customers – I went out and found some prospects.
When the fishermen went home hungry and defeated, telling me not to bother even trying – the first thing I’d do was dredge the pond – in case they’d missed something.
Then I hiked over to the NEXT lake and tried again.
While they all went to the pub and talked about the one that got away. Hey, sometimes I went home with less than they did.
But they made a habit of giving up.
I made a habit of never giving in.
Some will tell you the secret of success is simply rising and then staying above mediocrity. That’s not far wrong.
I’ll add to that and say, while you’re pulling yourself above mediocrity, make sure you also develop your tenacity and positivity muscles too.
This wasn’t me being better than anyone else – or smarter, or more knowledgeable, or being given a better patch with better prospects. It’s just that – when people gave me the opportunity (and wage) to go and grow their business – I didn’t expect them to give me leads on a plate.
I went out and found business for them – and brought it back with my tail wagging.
So the real secret is this;
Below average salespeople wait for their business to create sales leads.
Above average salespeople create business opportunities, and become Sales Leaders
(And average performers, who aren’t putting in the effort, are just riding a wave of luck – which never lasts long)
You can sit at your desk just hoping, hitting the send/receive button if you like – or maybe leave it to chance that the social media campaign, website or marketing department will bring prospects directly to your door – and hey, some probably will.
But that’s the same business everyone around you has access to – including the competition. It was coming anyway – with or without a salesperson to pick it up
There’s a reason diamonds are tough to uncover– the really valuable stuff isn’t found just lying on the beach for anyone to pick up.
Fill your pipeline with pebbles if you want – but diamonds are what they’ll congratulate you for.
So where should you start – where’s all this business hiding?
- You find it with new clients
- You find it with disgruntled old clients
- You look for new opportunities within existing clients
- You portfolio sell across the board
On top of that;
- Don’t moan when there’s no business – that’s your job – go and get some
- Don’t treat customers like one night stands – learn how you genuinely help and watch your results prosper when you start to put that into practice.
- Learn what you don’t know and get better at the stuff you do
- Listen to, emulate and take advice from winners – never whiners
- Stop trying to find the quick way of doing absolutely everything – find the most effective way, and then perfect it.
- Do one more call, every day after what used to be your last call. Forty weeks a year, equals two hundred extra calls.
If we work on one in ten, ask yourself – what would twenty more opportunities do for your pipeline?
Next UK Sales Training Workshops
(click on preferred city for full details)
This one-day workshop was designed to provide delegates with a comprehensive introduction to the Selling with EASE process and to show how a thorough understanding of the four major steps – Earn the Right, Ask the Appropriate Questions, Solve the Problem and Execute the Solution – can help them to succeed in all genuine sales situations.
This interactive workshop is perfect for any salespeople who need to hit the ground running or anyone requiring a comprehensive sales “refresher”
In short – If your job remit requires you to convert sales meetings into profitable business relationships – then this workshop is the one for you.
At the end of this workshop delegates will be able to:
- Explain why customers make the buying decisions and how they choose suppliers
- Understand why your current pitch isn’t the solution to your prospects problem
- Explain why setting yourself two different outcome targets to each call can lead to success every time
- Demonstrate a high level of consultative questioning techniques
- Use real life examples and case studies to sell concepts and solutions
- Effectively overcome all genuine objections
- Understand – and execute – the process of closing every sale opportunity
Interested in finding out more?
(click on preferred city name for full details)